Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Know Your Bones: August 2014

[ 7 posts ] 
Know Your Bones: August 2014
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Know Your Bones: August 2014

Discussion thread for the blog entry "Know Your Bones: August 2014" by he_who_is_nobody.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/science/know-your-bones-august-2014/
Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:57 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Know Your Bones: August 2014

"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3192Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:16 pm
MugnutsBloggerUser avatarPosts: 383Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am Gender: Male

"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne
Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3487Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:06 am
YIM WWW
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3487Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Inferno wrote:Judging by its size: Mammuthus exilis

Definitely some kind of Mammoth though.

Size? There is not a scale in that image, thus I can see how one might be thrown off a bit, but that specimen is 3.8 meters at the shoulder.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:16 am
YIM WWW
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Inferno wrote:Judging by its size: Mammuthus exilis

Definitely some kind of Mammoth though.

Size? There is not a scale in that image, thus I can see how one might be thrown off a bit, but that specimen is 3.8 meters at the shoulder.

I was trying to compare it to the door to its right. Somewhere along the way, I had a brainfart and thought it was the same height when actually it's twice the size. No idea what brought that on. The odd bit is, I had M. Comlumbi written down and then thought... nah, too big.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 am
 [ 7 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason