where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Why do so many movies get it wrong?

[ 3 posts ] 
Why do so many movies get it wrong?
DutchLiam84User avatarPosts: 381Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 pmLocation: Eurasian Plate Gender: Time Lord

Post Why do so many movies get it wrong?

Saw Prometheus yesterday and in the beginning they zoomed in on what was supposed to be a DNA double helix. Check the cover of Gattica, that is also supposed to be a DNA double helix. Is it just me or do more people find this odd, they show a mirror version of DNA where the normal DNA helix is right turning (don't know the exact English term) but they show a left turning helix.
Nom...I bewieeeeeve....nom nom nom...I have faith in Eviwution
You can find me in Montreal, in a bitching arcade! I'm proud of my gun, and I pood in space!
Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:54 pm
nemesissUser avatarPosts: 1259Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Post Re: Why do so many movies get it wrong?

it's a simple case of, they don't care enough.

in general, when people make movies, they do not ask for the opinion of scientists on how stuff works or looks.
they just create something to looks similar and nifty, that looks impressive and gives a general (wrong) idea of the subject.
example: jurassic park, creating dinosaurs and collecting dino-DNA
in some cases, movies clash with science because it is just wrong and it would ruin the magic of cinema.
examples: X-men, harry potter, etc....

i'd be more concerned when people make documentaries that are flat-out wrong, such as that expelled movie.
that some documentaries over the course of time contain more 'mistakes' due to increasing understanding of the subject is in my opinion just unfortunate. though it does give filmmakers a chance to make a remake of a movie that doesn't suck.
Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:02 pm
scientiaPosts: 22Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why do so many movies get it wrong?

This reminds me of something I read a long time ago. They were making a movie and the director wanted them to film a sunrise on the ocean. They explained to him that they were on the West coast and the sun only sets there; it never rises. So, he told them to film the sunset and they would just play it backwards. They did this but it didn't work so well because the waves were leaping off the shore and moving back out to sea and the seagulls were flying backwards.
Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics