Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Is evolution a fact?

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 116 of 116
 [ 2311 posts ] 
Is evolution a fact?
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

itsdemtitans wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:
I don't understand what this has to do with what we were talking about.


It was tying into the fact that throughout the fossil record we see the hind limbs shrinking smaller and smaller and there are still internal vestiges today.

Yes, that's the study I'm referring to, and it's purpose was not to show that whales had legs long ago. That was established a while ago with fossil evidence and the vestigial ball and socket joints we still see in some living whales. The purpose of the study was to figure out why these animals, which we still see grow limb buds for a few weeks before they stop and get reabsorbed, prevent limb formation in the first place and what biochemical pathways cause this.
See below diagram and quote from the paper. .


Do whales have hands?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 pm
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Do whales have hands?

You keep asking the same question even though it has been answered. Are you trying to run Scientology processes on us?
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:20 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Do whales have hands?

SpecialFrog wrote:You keep asking the same question even though it has been answered. Are you trying to run Scientology processes on us?
LOL ok whatever dude.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 174Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:
Do whales have hands?



OK. I want to play the game.

Let's say that I say; "No. Whales do not have hands". Now what?
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 am
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 706Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Do whales have hands?


Not in the same sense that humans do, as in it does not function as a hand. But then again...

he_who_is_nobody wrote:I see phalanges, metacarpals, carpals, a radius, and an ulna. All those structures make up your hand and wrist. Could you please explain why a whale would have all those same features in their fin? That is an amazing coincidence, do you not agree?
Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:22 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Do whales have hands?


itsdemtitans wrote:Not in the same sense that humans do, as in it does not function as a hand. But then again...


he_who_is_nobody wrote:I see phalanges, metacarpals, carpals, a radius, and an ulna. All those structures make up your hand and wrist. Could you please explain why a whale would have all those same features in their fin? That is an amazing coincidence, do you not agree?


And you believe that the mother of all Mammals was a small rodent-like creature that had hands?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 pm
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 706Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Do whales have hands?


itsdemtitans wrote:Not in the same sense that humans do, as in it does not function as a hand. But then again...


he_who_is_nobody wrote:I see phalanges, metacarpals, carpals, a radius, and an ulna. All those structures make up your hand and wrist. Could you please explain why a whale would have all those same features in their fin? That is an amazing coincidence, do you not agree?


And you believe that the mother of all Mammals was a small rodent-like creature that had hands?


Not hands as in human hands, but a bone structure homologous to human hands. Unless that's how you're defining hand.

But yes, given this trait is fairly well conserved among mammals, the common ancestor of mammals would have had this structure.

Are you trying to make a particular point here?
Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

Something like this?

Image
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:54 pm
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 706Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Something like this?

Image


*sigh*

I can't say what it looked like, thenexttodie. Maybe that rendering is accurate, maybe not. Regardless if it's appearence, it's wrist and paw would have had a bone strucutre homologs to all mammals as we are all related through said ancestor.

I ask again, do you have a particular point here?
Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 519Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

thenexttodie wrote:Something like this?

Image


But if we came from mice, how come Tom and Jerry cartoons still exist!
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:06 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3347Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Is evolution a fact?

itsdemtitans wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Something like this?

Image


*sigh*

I can't say what it looked like, thenexttodie. Maybe that rendering is accurate, maybe not. Regardless if it's appearence, it's wrist and paw would have had a bone strucutre homologs to all mammals as we are all related through said ancestor.

I ask again, do you have a particular point here?


Thenexttodie is simply JAQing off at this point. Furthermore, that image could not be the "mother of all mammals" because the caption in the image makes it clear it is talking about placental mammals only.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:10 am
YIM WWW
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 116 of 116
 [ 2311 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rumraket and 6 guests