Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A plea to theists: well I guess it is too late for you

[ 9 posts ] 
A plea to theists: well I guess it is too late for you
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post A plea to theists: well I guess it is too late for you

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: A plea to theists: well I guess it is too late for you

The mess of contradictions produced makes for some laugh-out-loud reading and can be terrific fun to unpack. Working through this kind of fractal wrongness can also help us to clarify our own moral reasoning and shows us why secular morality is superior to that of the religious

True enough, although to be fair, I feel this very sentiment going through arguments on the off side of the spectrum too.

I love the irony of the title (ie: apocalypse for theists), but of course, you're not saying all theists are bat-sh*t crazy, right? Just to reinforce that there are many versions of spirituality out there (not all official or part of some organisation) and I'd say there was some statistical overlay between madness here and in humanity in general.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:35 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Andiferous wrote:True enough, although to be fair, I feel this very sentiment going through arguments on the off side of the spectrum too.
Well I suppose it can happen, but I especially enjoy the Jewish, Christian, Muslim attempts for some reason. Maybe I''m just mean.

Andiferous wrote:I love the irony of the title (ie: apocalypse for theists), but of course, you're not saying all theists are bat-sh*t crazy, right?
No,no of course not. I was just riffing off the Rabbi's title. I recognise that it doesn't apply to all theists.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Aught3 wrote:
Andiferous wrote:True enough, although to be fair, I feel this very sentiment going through arguments on the off side of the spectrum too.
Well I suppose it can happen, but I especially enjoy the Jewish, Christian, Muslim attempts for some reason. Maybe I''m just mean.

I meant with badge-bearing atheists, myself. They can be a crazy batch.

Most of us have started with one of those "crazy" religions, so it's silly to think everyone suddenly goes sane overnight. :P
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:41 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Andiferous wrote:Most of us have started with one of those "crazy" religions, so it's silly to think everyone suddenly goes sane overnight. :P
I'm not even sure that everyone is sane, period. Fortunately I didn't have to go through a crazy religion phase. I've been mostly sane all my life.
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:48 am

Aught3 wrote:
Andiferous wrote:Most of us have started with one of those "crazy" religions, so it's silly to think everyone suddenly goes sane overnight. :P
I'm not even sure that everyone is sane, period. Fortunately I didn't have to go through a crazy religion phase. I've been mostly sane all my life.

With respect, sanity is relative. Just don't ask the emotivists.
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:51 am

Andiferous wrote:With respect, sanity is relative. Just don't ask the emotivists.
Yeah not into the emotivist position. I think judgement should be more on the rational side. Not that you can totally rule out emotion, but you should try and avoid reason becoming a slave of the passions.
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 am

You should visit that thread. :)

It's hard for me to differenciate between extreme views in emotivism or in the opposite. Extremes on either side look exactly the same, to me.
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

A good rebuke of yet another theist's assertions of what atheism MUST be, while exposing the good Rabi's sanctimonious pedestal.
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 am
 [ 9 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason