Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Taxation as investment

[ 10 posts ] 
Taxation as investment
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Taxation as investment

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:27 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Taxation as investment

::thumbsup::

Money doesn't grow on trees. Having money means taking it from somewhere or someone else, and taxation does its' little bit to help equalise distribution and standard of community living for everyone's benefit.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 am
kenandkidsUser avatarPosts: 1117Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm Gender: Pinecone

Taxes provide us with roads and infrastructure that make our lives better. Taxes mean that fewer of our children die starving in gutters. Taxes make sure that we have the ability to air grievances. Taxes allow us to know that we have a chance at equal standing with our neighbours.

I have very little appreciation for the short-sighted asses that bemoan taxes as theft while they take full advantage of the benefits, and none at all for corporations that pay little to nothing while using these benefits as a springboard to further their own selfish wealth.
Teapublican commandment:
Thou shalt not educate or improve the lives of the lesser classes, the lesser races, or women.

Fiddler on:

http://obnoxi.us/
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:12 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Good, I'm getting some comments for this one :lol:

Hey, Andie how's your blog post coming along - been about a year in the making hasn't it? Ought to be good...

Ken part of the idea of this post was to not repeat the myth of taxes as theft but rather see them as an investment, do you agree with this viewpoint?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:19 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

That made me blush a bit, Aught. I have about four documents but I almost deleted them the other day. I guess we'll see. ;) You're much better than I am at this.

I do think Ken touched on something there, though.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:37 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Andiferous wrote:That made me blush a bit, Aught. I have about four documents but I almost deleted them the other day. I guess we'll see. ;) You're much better than I am at this.
Sounds good, send them along when you are finished if you can't log on to the blog anymore ;)
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 am
kenandkidsUser avatarPosts: 1117Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm Gender: Pinecone

Aught3 wrote:Ken part of the idea of this post was to not repeat the myth of taxes as theft but rather see them as an investment, do you agree with this viewpoint?

I thought my first paragraph addressed this. Because I pay taxes, I'm presumably allowed access to the same laws and systems as any other in my society. Because I pay taxes, I have access to a numbered and marked road system that not only makes sense state to state but access isn't based on political or religious affiliation. Because I pay taxes, I know that others in my society are cared for. This has the benefit of making my society stronger and more able to withstand pressures.

Taxes are an investment in society. With taxes we are stronger as a unit and more able to prosper and profit as a whole.
Teapublican commandment:
Thou shalt not educate or improve the lives of the lesser classes, the lesser races, or women.

Fiddler on:

http://obnoxi.us/
Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:11 am
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

Sounds good to me. I see you went to counter the "Taxes as theft" by framing it as an investment. There's another argument derived from theological argument in this too. The perception that government = god. I suspect this can also be traced to Rand herself, and I'm seeing it pop up more often in conservative atheist Vs. liberal atheist debates.

It seems to be an odd argument today because from a hard right theist's perspective "big government" is perceived to be a system of man's own making that is actually at odds with god's will.

From a lefty atheist's perspective it is highly unlikely that an all powerful, all knowing and consequently perfect, divine being exists....so why would I think or expect that sort of absolute infallibility out of ANY system of government or economics?

I can't really figure what the perspective of a liberal theist would generally be. Perhaps, many of them do sub-consciously have government as a stand in for god, but I hardly see the same unshakable faith in god being brought over to government with the same ferocity. People still presumably go to war for god an freedom, not government....
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:33 am
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

Andiferous wrote:That made me blush a bit, Aught. I have about four documents but I almost deleted them the other day. I guess we'll see. ;) You're much better than I am at this.

I do think Ken touched on something there, though.

I second that notion. :)
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Why thank you, if this is a compliment to me. And agreed, if a compliment to Ken. :)
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 am
 [ 10 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason