Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

451°C

[ 21 posts ] 
451°C
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post 451°C

Discussion thread for the blog entry "451°C" by Aught3.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/literature/451%c2%b0-celsius/
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: 451°C

Count me in. With the reading that is, not the burning. I've read bits of the Qu'ran before but never in great detail. Any knowledge is useful as far as I'm concerned. Book burners are the worst kind of idiots, not only are they idiots they're proactively so.
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm
JosanUser avatarPosts: 426Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm

11. September is my birthday, but I'll definitly take some time to read at least a few Sura (chapters) of the Qur'an. Thanks for a great post Aught3.
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

I've always wanted to read the Koran, but you don't seem to get them given out for free as often as the Bible. :lol:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:04 pm
Private_slimUser avatarPosts: 166Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 amLocation: Kristiansund N, Norway Gender: Male

If I remember and I have a Koran ready, count me in!
I'm a monkey
Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Woot four people! We should make this International Read the Koran Day - Facebook page!

------------------------

If you need a copy of the Koran there are plenty available online.

Audiobook
ebook
Sceptical version

There are also many websites that will send you free copies but I don't want to recommend one. Finally, your local mosque will most likely give you a copy if you go in and ask.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 am
JosanUser avatarPosts: 426Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Aught3 wrote:Woot four people! We should make this International Read the Koran Day - Facebook page!

I think this seems like sarcasm, but I think you should do it ^^,
Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:49 pm
Neil86Posts: 14Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 pm Gender: Male

Josan wrote:
Aught3 wrote:Woot four people! We should make this International Read the Koran Day - Facebook page!

I think this seems like sarcasm, but I think you should do it ^^,

Agreed, and this time I will support it publicly rather than sitting on the sidelines quietly agreeing like I did for the draw Muhammad thing.
Another signiture pushing someones blog
Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Neil86 wrote:Agreed, and this time I will support it publicly rather than sitting on the sidelines quietly agreeing like I did for the draw Muhammad thing.
Okay, I went ahead and made a facebook page called 'International read a Koran day'. I'm not very up with facebook so if people could take a look and make suggestions that would be much appreciated.

This should be the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Read-A-Koran-Day/142333182457843
Can someone let me know if it works?
Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:16 am
fenyxUser avatarPosts: 59Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:19 pm

nvrmind...ive read it from cover to cover. its pretty...but i dont want to read it again..
Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 pm

fenyx wrote:nvrmind...ive read it from cover to cover. its pretty...but i dont want to read it again..
Are there any particular stories or suras you would recommend?
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:54 pm
StoryUser avatarPosts: 398Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:43 pm Gender: Male

For any one without a Quran, you can use this one http://www.flashquran.com/.

The Quran isn't as bad as it's made out to be in my opinion. There are no verses that call upon people to kill themselves in violence or that they will receive 72 virgins when they die in anyway or to fly planes into buildings, but it was written primarily around a period of war and contentions between Muslims and non-Muslims. There are unacceptable and unethical practices it advises upon Muslims at times (Stonings, beatings, whippings etc), but reading it for yourself you can work out it's ups and downs.

Here are my recommendations:

Surah Nisa (Chapter 4 : Women) is a chapter with many recommendations for the Muslims on how to live their lives and the treatment of women.

Surah Taubah (Chapter 9: Repentance) Verse 5 is one of the most violent verses in the Quran. It appears to be written around a war period where treaties had been broken. The author seems angry. (Not sure why it's called Repentance though)

Surah Kahf (Chapter 18: The Cave) This is a chapter that consists mostly of stories and parables for anyone that wants a less political journey through the book.

And if you're just looking for a quick skim, start from the end of the book.

Lastly remember the Quran is supposed to be a collection of mostly poetic sayings of charismatic Arab leader of the 8th century who believed it was god that inspired his speech. It follows no chronological order or any real order at all and it can change subject and discourse pretty quickly. This can lead to a great deal of confusion for people thinking they're going to read an ordinary book.

Treat it as insight into the mind of the leader. Muslims rarely listen to it's teachings unless they particularly favor a few.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

I love the concept Aught. ;)

I'm not sure I'll have that much opportunity that particular day... but I will do a few paragraphs for certain ;)
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:11 am
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

I remember an online dating site I used asked me a personality question on which I thought was more offensive: book burning or flag burning. I was disappointed to find myself mostly alone in choosing books.

Reading sounds much better than burning. I'm curious how Pakistan will respond to hordes of atheists reading their book, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they peacefully joined us in protest against this evangelical group.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Aught3 wrote:
Neil86 wrote:Agreed, and this time I will support it publicly rather than sitting on the sidelines quietly agreeing like I did for the draw Muhammad thing.
Okay, I went ahead and made a facebook page called 'International read a Koran day'. I'm not very up with facebook so if people could take a look and make suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Might be better as an event, as DMD was. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141157745906240

Kosher?

Hmm, is there a way to make it created by the Read a Koran page or by the League of Reason or something instead of myself? I suppose I'm not facebook savvy enough either.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 pm
AlphaConfigurationUser avatarPosts: 12Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I think "The Young Turks" commented on this best: it's a pointless act. If they want to burn the Koran, they're going to have to buy their own copies anyway.
Unless they are stealing copies from other people, if they want to burn the Koran, let them, but they should be aware that they're just putting money into the pockets of the people they're "protesting." Really, I would equate this to flag-burning: It's a gesture whose point is to be as offensive as possible, nothing else, and it's symbolic at that.
It's not like the bible where they can just steal them from their hotel rooms, and if they burn a library copy, they will get hounded for it. Really, there's no point to their actions aside from catharsis. Morally, I see no problem with it as long as they're within those rules, but I also see no point to it, nor any point to objecting to them.
Ironically, it would do less harm to their own cause if they were to skip the workaround and just burn their money.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:10 pm

RichardMNixon wrote:Might be better as an event, as DMD was. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141157745906240

Kosher?

Hmm, is there a way to make it created by the Read a Koran page or by the League of Reason or something instead of myself? I suppose I'm not facebook savvy enough either.
That's kosher, I didn't even know you could make events so I can help with the authorship question. I'll link to it from the original page.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:17 pm
finchfranceUser avatarPosts: 4Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:27 pmLocation: Strasbourg, France Gender: Male

I'm curious why you say "451,°C" as it bears little relevancy with the reason Ray Bradbury chose the title Fahrenheit 451 . 451,°F is the temperature at which books burn. 233,°C would be better suited should you wish to "convert" the symbolism of Bradbury's most famous literary work and still maintain the reference for which it was intended.
Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 pm

finchfrance wrote:I'm curious why you say "451,°C" as it bears little relevancy with the reason Ray Bradbury chose the title Fahrenheit 451 . 451,°F is the temperature at which books burn. 233,°C would be better suited should you wish to "convert" the symbolism of Bradbury's most famous literary work and still maintain the reference for which it was intended.
Thanks for the reply. Apparently the temperature at which book burn is about 450,°C but Bradbury thought Fahrenheit 451 made a better title. The autoignition temperature for paper is around 450,°F, making Bradbury's title sufficiently accurate for literature, I decided it wasn't good enough for the LoR :D Besides, we use SI units here and this way I get to keep the 451 number.
Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 pm
CRHThreeUser avatarPosts: 21Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pmLocation: U.S Georgia Gender: Male

I've already read a good deal of the Koran, ( i wanted to understand my Muslim friend) so I probably won't read it. But I live in Georgia, so I'm really close to Florida. and if I happen to see anyone attempt a book burning I will do my best to sabotage it. You have my word.
Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm
Next
 [ 21 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason