Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

What are you doing this 4th July?

[ 21 posts ] 
What are you doing this 4th July?
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post What are you doing this 4th July?

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:11 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: What are you doing this 4th July?

As a proud 'Merkin... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I'll be grilling hot dogs and drinking ice-cold and lousy tasting beer. Later, we'll accidentally set fire to the woods with fireworks and evacuate as quickly as possible.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:15 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

On Friday, I saw a menu on the wall with American-themed food to celebrate the day of the Colonies' treachery ;) . All it was was just burgers and hot dogs and other fast food stuff, which I found rather amusing, because it was almost condescending in a way-putting only the absolute fattiest foods from America up there and ignoring the existence of other, healthier things. :)
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

It's my wifes birthday barbecue tomorrow so I will likely not be about for the blogtv. I do intend to get drunk and probably set fire to my fence with the BBQ or something. Will certainly catch up with the highlights of the show though :)
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:16 am
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

I'll probably show up for a bit. I just moved into a new place, so i need to do some cleaning of it and some other stuff I've been putting off. But it looks like I have no one with whom I could celebrate the day of our ending your tyranny... So I'll probably be there for a bit I guess...
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:19 am
MorrisolUser avatarPosts: 8Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 am Gender: Male

I will be playing tennis for about 6 hours and then light off fireworks at my friend's house.
Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:18 am
ZlatanTomPosts: 1Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:11 am

Hello,

I wanted to send some thoughts to the League for the topic.

(I am not sure I will be able to listen to, let alone participate tomorrow.)

First, to introduce myself, I would describe myself as a theist. I was raised Christian but have always been a fan of science. Both my parents and the church I grew up in had a reasonable attitude towards science and reality. Because of this I have a positive attitude towards religious people, unless they give me reason not to, such as things that are common among creationists and street preachers etc. However, I no longer consider myself to be a Christian and I do not believe that any religion is, was, or ever will be 100% correct. Still, I believe there are "higher power/s" even though I would not claim to have any tangible or logical reasons to explain it. Some of you might describe me as a vague theist. Also note that I am writing this because I enjoy many of your videos debunking creationists.

When I first read the topic: Are there any good reasons to believe in a god?

I interpreted this to mean "Are there any benefits to believing in a god?"

But later I realized that you more likely meant "Are there any good reasons to believe that any specific god exists?"

If you did indeed mean the latter then I would say no at this point. My belief in God is personal, between me and God, and I leave it at that.

But addressing my first interpretation, the answer would be yes, but with a significant disclaimer. People's spiritual beliefs can be quite inspiring. It can give people the motivation to go on where they might otherwise fall to despair. It motivates people to succeed. etc. etc. The problem is that such beliefs works both ways. Just as one person might be inspired to help others, or develop technology that helps millions or billions of people, others might be inspired to commit atrocities.

Looking at the concept of prayer from a secular point of view: Even assuming that there is no supernatural intervention, prayer can be a time for reflection and contemplation. When you are stuck on a problem and obsessed with it sometimes you have trouble breaking away from a cycle of your failed attempts, and have trouble breaking away from what you have already tried to think of something different. Within reason, taking a break from your obsessing helps you let go and then the inspiration just comes to you when you are thinking about something different. Prayer can act as a method of letting go.

One last thought that comes from a book review on an atheist's blog:

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta ... ere-1.html

(See point #5)

A little cognitive dissonance is a good thing. While cognitive dissonance causes us to make logical mistakes and have a distorted conception of reality, it helps keep us sane. "...rationalization exists for a reason. It enables us to make decisions without being paralyzed about every possible consequence."

It is good to have some romantic or idealistic views of the world. The trick is when evidence and facts are staring you in the face do you acknowledge them or fall back on beliefs or ideology? When you can solve a problem through deductive reasoning then go for it. When that fails you use inductive reasoning and assess a probability.

When you are dealing with significant unknown factors and have no basis for determining an answer, I do not see a problem with falling back on religion or superstition as long as it does not violate another person's life, liberty or property, and as long as you recognize that it is based on superstition and never stop asking questions that might someday lead you to a more logical or scientific explanation.

To Summarize, I think it is OK to have spiritual or even religious beliefs as long as you do not make immoral (or obviously illogical) actions because of them, and as long as you never take them too seriously to question them.

(Did I just allude that religion is a product of cognitive dissonance? No, that can't be right. I am a theist.)

Will anyone even read this before the show?
Is there an email address I should have used instead?

Anyway, break a leg. Good debunking. etc.
Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:27 am
ShaedysUser avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm Gender: Cake

I'll probably watch most of it.
Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:02 am
MillionSwordUser avatarPosts: 217Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 pmLocation: Ireland

ZlatanTom wrote:
First, to introduce myself, I would describe myself as a theist. I was raised Christian but have always been a fan of science. Both my parents and the church I grew up in had a reasonable attitude towards science and reality. Because of this I have a positive attitude towards religious people, unless they give me reason not to, such as things that are common among creationists and street preachers etc. However, I no longer consider myself to be a Christian and I do not believe that any religion is, was, or ever will be 100% correct. Still, I believe there are "higher power/s" even though I would not claim to have any tangible or logical reasons to explain it. Some of you might describe me as a vague theist. Also note that I am writing this because I enjoy many of your videos debunking creationists.

You would be what's known as a Deist.
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:51 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

nasher168 wrote:On Friday, I saw a menu on the wall with American-themed food to celebrate the day of the Colonies' treachery ;) . All it was was just burgers and hot dogs and other fast food stuff, which I found rather amusing, because it was almost condescending in a way-putting only the absolute fattiest foods from America up there and ignoring the existence of other, healthier things. :)

What is this "healthier" thing you speak of? :lol:

Independence Day festivities usually involve grills and outdoors sorts of foods. So hot dogs and hamburgers and other meats you toss on the grill, and usually with potato or macaroni salad, and giant slices of watermelon for dessert. Should we trade that for a green salad and soy burgers?

NO!
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:45 pm
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

I instigated two dogs constantly while eating steak and drinking beer. It was good times.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:38 am
drewkmanPosts: 1Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:38 am Gender: Pinecone

Argh... I missed it. Not for any good reason, either. I'm British.

Is there any place I can catch up on the show? Any archives? :(
Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:40 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

The highlights will be put up on the League of Reason youtube channel.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:41 am
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Am I the only one who couldn't get it to work this week? I tried on two computers with three different browsers and every time it came up saying that there was no show on at the time and to come back later, yet from the comments section it was clear the show was running. Most put out I was.
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:56 pm
TheFlyingBastardUser avatarPosts: 787Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 am Gender: Male

Blog of Reason wrote:What are you doing this 4th July?

Masturbating furiously.
Last edited by TheFlyingBastard on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:58 pm
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

I was at an open-air jamsession. I don't remember the details but I'm sure it involved several substances that didn't quite add to my cognitive abilities, and of course music. Some of it was recorded, one or two videos where I'm actually playing on stage (I call it a stage but it was actually just a small hill). Played bass for the first time, that was a lot of fun. Might link to the video once it's available. Hope to see some good highlights from the show!
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:40 pm
tshred666Posts: 22Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 am Gender: Pinecone

It was a good show. You guys should bring VyckRo into the skype call next show. It would very entertaining to watch him embarrass himself live in front of a one thousand people.
I am God I taste of blood
In the grip of a bitter loss
Divine thing that should not be
The God that never was
Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:57 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

TheFlyingBastard wrote:
Blog of Reason wrote:What are you doing this 4th July?

Masturbating furiously.

:)

as opposed to any other day?
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:18 pm
TheFlyingBastardUser avatarPosts: 787Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 am Gender: Male

Lallapalalable wrote:
TheFlyingBastard wrote:Masturbating furiously.

:)

as opposed to any other day?

You have a point, sir.
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm
VyckRoUser avatarPosts: 177Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 pmLocation: Romania Gender: Male

tshred666 wrote:It was a good show. You guys should bring VyckRo into the skype call next show. It would very entertaining to watch him embarrass himself live in front of a one thousand people.

I would have liked that to

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5015&p=67102#p67102

yes.... I still receive challenges
I do not think this show will be the peak of my career so the next weekend will be the last dedicated to the "League"
I do not want to seem arrogant
I do not consider myself very important but it seems that the debate lacks total a theist participation

My conclusion is that the Ligue has no plans to do anything about that very soon.
Le XXIème siècle sera spirituel ou ne sera pas - André Malraux
Eu cand discut cu un ateu e ca si cum as discuta cu usa - Petre Tutea
I want to live for immortality, and I will accept no compromise. from F.Dostoyevsky
Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:08 am
Next
 [ 21 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason