Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Episode 2 - today, 7pm GMT

[ 7 posts ] 
Episode 2 - today, 7pm GMT
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Episode 2 - today, 7pm GMT

Discussion thread for the blog entry "Episode 2 - today, 7pm GMT" by AndromedasWake.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/show/episode-2-today-7pm-gmt/
Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 pm
monitoradiationPosts: 566Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Post Re: Episode 2 - today, 7pm GMT

I can never make it on time... Could someone please record it somehow?
Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm
DeistPaladinUser avatarPosts: 337Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pmLocation: Louisville, KY USA

Question about this coming show:

The topic is "Are there any good reasons to believe in God?"

By this, are you asking for evidence that leads someone to believe or benefits that someone gets from believing?

Thanks.
"The (only) Word of God is the Creation we behold"
- Thomas Paine

http://www.godvsthebible.com
Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:39 pm
AndromedasWakeLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 598Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pmLocation: Captain's Chair, League HQ Gender: Cake

DeistPaladin wrote:Question about this coming show:

The topic is "Are there any good reasons to believe in God?"

By this, are you asking for evidence that leads someone to believe or benefits that someone gets from believing?

Thanks.

Well the question is quite open. I am of the impression that it is put out to inspire people to bring forward their best reasons for believing. Naturally we expect these will be the reasons that convince them most according to their own assessment.

It could be evidence for belief or benefit from believing, as long as it entails the person sincerely believing in the real existence of a supernatural god or gods.

Again, the qualifier "good" is designed to provoke the best reasons an individual can bring forward. What one person believes is a good reason to believe (like a cosmological argument) doesn't fly with me, because everyone has a different standard of evidence.

Like with all future questions, and the motivation for the show itself, the idea is that we might actually get something new brought to the table, because most of us are used to dealing with the same stuff.
ImageImage
(( "We are 'star-stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan | Music! | Twitter - [ AndromedasWake | SiriusStargazer ] ))
Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:44 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

What time is that in real people time... namely, Eastern Standard Time in America, the only time that counts. :lol:
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

You're hoping for something new? I don't think that's going to happen. Everything religion had going for it was slowly taken away from it. Explanation for events - science does that now. Feelings of euphoria - drugs can induce that much more reliably. Personal reasons? Not generalizable to the majority - and mostly based on biased views or failure of logical thinking. What's left? To motivate the masses? Psychology offers a quite thorough understanding of how just about any ideology can accompish that. But maybe I'm just pessimistic. ;)
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:14 pm
DeistPaladinUser avatarPosts: 337Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pmLocation: Louisville, KY USA

AndromedasWake wrote:Again, the qualifier "good" is designed to provoke the best reasons an individual can bring forward. What one person believes is a good reason to believe (like a cosmological argument) doesn't fly with me, because everyone has a different standard of evidence.

Like with all future questions, and the motivation for the show itself, the idea is that we might actually get something new brought to the table, because most of us are used to dealing with the same stuff.

I'd love to be a guest on this coming show, if deists are also welcome to call in. The timing is bad since I'll be traveling to see my wife's family during our 4th of July holiday (a time when Americans celebrate the anniversary of our treason and ruination of a ship load of tea ;) ) so I won't have access to my computer. I'm looking into other options. At the very least, I can contact DPR so as to get on the Skype list for future shows.

Assuming I can make it, I can promise something new. I can't promise it will be at all convincing.
"The (only) Word of God is the Creation we behold"
- Thomas Paine

http://www.godvsthebible.com
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason