Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

There's A Reason The Metro Is Free

[ 8 posts ] 
There's A Reason The Metro Is Free
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post There's A Reason The Metro Is Free

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:55 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: There's A Reason The Metro Is Free

They could have taken Phil's approach, which was "OMFG space is awesome and beautiful". And they sort of did. But they also titled the article "Proof that golf-playing God shot a hole-in-one on the Moon?" [...] Why, why would you do this? What manner of journalist would take a story about a lunar event of some rarity and make it into terrifyingly inept pun-based pseudoscience?

I seriously doubt if the journalist had written the headline, it's a sub-editor's job. Different job, different remit. The article seems tongue in cheek too.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:13 pm
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Journalism with a bias? Nevar!!

Agreed there, punny titles are generally an editorial perk. Although... even tongue-in-cheek shows bias.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 am
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

The pun I mentioned didn't specifically refer to the title, it referred to the god/golf theme that was scattered throughout the article, and which the title obviously drew upon.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

I'll be honest. I laughed.

I laughed at the fact that they can't simply accept any given natural event without ascribing mysticism to it.

Also, how is it possibly even a hole in one? I mean, how long was that rock at the edge of the hole before someone came and putted it in?

:facepalm:
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:29 am
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

This sort of thing really gets on my tits as well. I am more than happy to lend you my stick for when you meet out your vigilante justice. You may have to wait a bit though as I am currently in need of it having just this moment discovered that one of the GP sites the company I work for supports has just launched a homeopathy pilot scheme. MUST SMASH!

On another note....Alien Power Armour is AWESOME.
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:58 pm
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

rabbitpirate wrote:...just launched a homeopathy pilot scheme. MUST SMASH!

The power to make me chuckle idiotically to myself is rare, and must be used wisely. Are you at TAM btw? I think AW said you were, but I'm not sure.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:15 pm
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Th1sWasATriumph wrote: Are you at TAM btw? I think AW said you were, but I'm not sure.

Yup, I will be there. I'm already getting all excited about it and occasionally can he heard to let out a girlish squeal.
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:06 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason