Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

If Men Look At My Wife The Universe Will Fold In On Itself

[ 9 posts ] 
If Men Look At My Wife The Universe Will Fold In On Itself
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post If Men Look At My Wife The Universe Will Fold In On Itself

Sat May 08, 2010 2:28 pm
monitoradiationPosts: 566Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Post Re: If Men Look At My Wife The Universe Will Fold In On Itse

I'm quite torn on the issue of burqas.

It'll be hard to distinguish between a woman who genuinely wants to wear a burqa for personal reasons and one that wants to because she was subtly forced to by culture or indoctrination.

However, I see no reason why the rest of us have to live with not being able to know who the person in front of me is. What kind of backwards uncooperative society is it where you're not allowed to identify the person you're dealing with?

Then I had a realization: They don't consider their women to be people. If men don't allow their wives to be identified but instead their identities must be asserted, they aren't people because their identity is inconsequential.
Sat May 08, 2010 6:40 pm
Private_slimUser avatarPosts: 166Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 amLocation: Kristiansund N, Norway Gender: Male

The "genuinely want to wear" thing is why I'm not for an all out banning, which does not exist either, but I fully support banning face covering anythings at places like banks and post offices. If we should ban it from mass populated public areas are however a candid discussion.
I'm a monkey
Sat May 08, 2010 8:25 pm
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

monitoradiation wrote: It'll be hard to distinguish between a woman who genuinely wants to wear a burqa for personal reasons and one that wants to because she was subtly forced to by culture or indoctrination.

Indeed. But if the personal reasons are in any way religiously motivated as opposed to secular ideals of fashion or aesthetics, I think we have a case for subtle/unsubtle indoctrination. It is pretty shady territory though.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Sat May 08, 2010 9:30 pm
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I completely agree. It makes no sense to me how someone can use religion as a reason to walk into banks and post offices in what basically amounts to a disguise, and we let them get away with it. It reminds me of that story about the Jedi guy in tescos who wouldn't remove his hood. I wonder if they would have stopped a mulim woman in the same way?

As for banning them completely here I am of two minds. Yeah I agree that being forced to wear something by either other people or a religion is a bad thing, but at the same time some Muslim women claim to like wearing them and I think it is just as bad to ban them from wearing them as it is to force them to do so.

Presumably the sight of an unclothed face would have led to an instant and massive sexbrawl.

If you'd ever seen one first hand you wouldn't be so cavalier. That shit stays with you man.
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Sun May 09, 2010 12:03 am
monitoradiationPosts: 566Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

rabbitpirate wrote:If you'd ever seen one first hand you wouldn't be so cavalier. That shit stays with you man.

Which, the sexbrawl, or an uncovered face? O_O
Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 am
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

I've seen Event Horizon, I know what a sexbrawl looks like.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Sun May 09, 2010 1:10 pm
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

Well, the burka is just one of many designs. Image
In all seriousness though, I can understand wearing a bedouin robe of sorts when you're in the desert, but what they're up to is plain ol' bull.
Nevermind that you need fucking sunlight for your body to create vitamin D.
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Sun May 09, 2010 2:04 pm
TheTruePookaLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 85Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:11 pmLocation: Manhattan Gender: Male

Interesting.

Muslim men are threatening to hold their women hostage according to this man's reaction to the law.

I wonder what the next stage of this hostage negotiation will be?
He stripped off his clothes and swam out to the shipwreck. Once there, he filled his pockets with biscuits and swam back.

Paraphrase from Robinson Crusoe.

Moments in literature; even the greatest fiction writers sometimes screw up!
Sun May 09, 2010 6:37 pm
 [ 9 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason