Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Shutter Island (2010)

[ 9 posts ] 
Shutter Island (2010)
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Shutter Island (2010)

Discussion thread for the blog entry "Shutter Island (2010)" by theowarner.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/entertainment/shutter-island-2010/
Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 pm
Private_slimUser avatarPosts: 166Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 amLocation: Kristiansund N, Norway Gender: Male

Post Re: Shutter Island (2010)

I'm wondering if you downgrade the movie based on something as weird as genres or not, since I haven't seen the movie yet I wont say anything against your review.
Think I will see it though, just to see for myself.

But if you like the genre, I have to recommend Mindhunters
I'm a monkey
Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I read the book a few years back and wasn't overly impressed with it at the time. I had no intention of going to see the film, as with a story like this once you know the end it kind of spoils the ride. However is sounds like that would have been the case whether I had read the book or not.

Also I can relate to your hatred of Leonardo DiCaprio. I couldn't stand him for years and always cheered when his character would get killed off in movies. Then I realised what an annoyingly good actor is actually is and I actually rather like him now.
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 am
Doc.User avatarPosts: 642Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 pm

I have not seen the film but I must say I already know everything from the trailer...

me and my cousin were watching it the other day, and when Dicaprio says "who is the patient number 67?" and we both were like "meh".
Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 pm
Lucifer AdamUser avatarPosts: 19Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 amLocation: My House? Gender: Male

meh, it was ok I guess. :|
Oh man, I'm so high right now, I have no idea what's going on.
Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 am
Dusty341User avatarPosts: 105Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 pm

While the film is pretty predictable, I have to disagree with this review. I thought the production value, dialogue, character development, and acting were superb. Not Scorsese' best film, and definitely not my favorite Leo character in a Scorsese movie(The Departed was fucking tits!), but it was well worth my time and money. I dont think there was a moment of boredom for me the entire film. Every scene seemed to be loaded with tension and imagery.

Could be that I am a bit biased, as I am a Scorsese fanboy, but naturally I think I am accurate in saying that it was a good movie.

Also, I was right there with you guys on the Leonardo DiCaprio hate wagon. But, Gangs of New York was when I changed my mind about him.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:37 am
HwonUser avatarPosts: 18Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 am Gender: Male

Predictable is an understatement. Upon seeing the teaser trailer for the first time quite a few months back and without having even known there was a novel I was able to guess as to what the entire plot of the movie was. The movie is a psychological rehash because by simply bringing up the question of "Is he or isn't he?" it was already obvious what the answer had to be. Perhaps the novel was more "novel" when it was first published, but in today's dramas and thrillers the plot twists can't be seen coming to be on par entertainment wise.
Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 am
Dusty341User avatarPosts: 105Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 pm

I know what you mean Hwon, it is a felt up plot. However, no one did it better than Scorsese
Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 am
monitoradiationPosts: 566Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Unfortunately I had everything except the last twist figured out within the first 15 or so minutes after he got his migraines and perpetual flashbacks. There were some confusing moments, but not in the way that would add to the final epiphany, more like "this piece of the puzzle doesn't fit anywhere". It added to the frustration.

I also thought the flashbacks and the character's back story were all too ad hoc; it felt like Scorsese just wanted to put in some abstract, art-housey moments in the film.

I think the film might've been better served were Chuck to have been the perspective through which we viewed the film for the first bit, then switched to DiCaprio for the last 30 minutes or so. Kind of like the Watson-Holmes narrative.
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 pm
 [ 9 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason