Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Argument for Atheism from St. Anselm

[ 8 posts ] 
The Argument for Atheism from St. Anselm
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post The Argument for Atheism from St. Anselm

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:49 pm
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: The Argument for Atheism from St. Anselm

That's funny.

Though of course not convincing to a theist, and rightfully so because it's a play on definitions and the ability of language to describe things more than it is an argument that god can't/doesn't exist.
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm
OnkelCannabiaUser avatarPosts: 156Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pmLocation: Germany

I love it. It is Descartes' own argument turned against him ;)
Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 pm
AmmoDumpUser avatarPosts: 6Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Reductio ad absurdum.

David Hume is usually credited with this objection in his Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion.
Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 pm
rabbitpirateLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 101Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I like it
Thetis: What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Zeus: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm
LehoooUser avatarPosts: 2Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pmLocation: Stockholm, Sweden Gender: Male

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The god who does not exist but still created the universe is greater than the god who exists and created the universe, because creating something while not existing is a harder task than creating something while existing? I realize of course that this is not an attempt at a serious argument, but more of a way of ridiculing the extremely badly thought out so called proof invented by Anselm, but I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.
Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm
borrofburiModeratorPosts: 3527Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm Gender: Male

Lehooo wrote:Let me see if I understand this correctly. The god who does not exist but still created the universe is greater than the god who exists and created the universe, because creating something while not existing is a harder task than creating something while existing? I realize of course that this is not an attempt at a serious argument, but more of a way of ridiculing the extremely badly thought out so called proof invented by Anselm, but I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

That's what I got out of it, so either we're both wrong, or that's precisely the idea.
Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:49 pm
LehoooUser avatarPosts: 2Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pmLocation: Stockholm, Sweden Gender: Male

Ok, great! Always nice to know you're not alone.
Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason