Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

What's wrong with this picture?

[ 36 posts ] 
What's wrong with this picture?
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post What's wrong with this picture?

Discussion thread for the blog entry "What's wrong with this picture?" by AndromedasWake.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/news/whats-wrong-with-this-picture/
Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:09 pm
Icefire9atlaPosts: 159Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 pmLocation: United States

Post Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Everything
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:33 pm
SkrotingPosts: 2Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Oh, I never thought this meeting would happen. I always thought the banana man would chicken out. Does anybody know how the debate went? Is Comfort an atheist now? He should be!
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 pm
Onodera1980User avatarPosts: 1Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:02 pmLocation: NYC

Ray Comfort is all powerful! He's converted Thunderf00t. We must all ask Jesus for forgiveness and believe. I suggest lots of alcohol to numb those sensations called logic and reason. This will help you get around the whole "not making sense" aspect of Christianity.
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:46 pm
scikidusLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 159Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 amLocation: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy Gender: Male

It's unfortunate that their intelligence averages out to 100.
"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

"Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges - it's more like apples and sewing machines." -Jack Horner

Omnes tua castra sunt habent nobis!
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 pm
DontHurtTheIntersectUser avatarPosts: 146Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pmLocation: U.S.A

Through no fault of Thunderf00t.
"well if I don't get to take surveys or sell my body, it's a deal breaker"

DietBroccoli
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 pm
JosanUser avatarPosts: 426Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Thunderf00t has started putting out the discussion youtube!
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Ooooh! I just got it! In the picture Comfort is wearing different clothes than in the discussions!
Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 pm
CantoPosts: 98Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Absolutely nothing.
Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:07 pm
CupOfWaterUser avatarPosts: 202Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:46 pmLocation: A world you may not understand

WHAT :O
I am refreshing
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm
jtempPosts: 1Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:51 am

It was a decent talk, hats off to both of them for meeting up and such. I know that typically RC doesn't do the whole random debate thing, so even if i dont agree with the whole POV Ray, coutos.
Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:54 am
e2iPiUser avatarPosts: 648Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 amLocation: Deltax Deltap>~h/(4 pi) Gender: Cake

Hat's off to TF for not once facepalming on camera :facepalm: I'm not sure I could have had the same restraint.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw
Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:00 am

Well, the one time he went "....O.K." was sort of a big facepalm :P
Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50 am
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

I reckon tf00t could feel the stupid eminating from Comfort and realised that whatever he said was going to fall on deaf ears. I imagine that would be a little depressing after gearing up for it so much.
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 am
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

Debate was extremely revealing IMO. In particular it highlights that Ray isn't so much a liar as completely clueless. He demonstrably has no idea what speciation is (referring to the ring species as simply being infertile, missing the point). You could actually see his inner defenses kick in at that point and prevent him from acquiring knowledge, his rational shield went up in a manner of speaking.

Debating the bible was a bit of a waste of time in my opinion, we all know it to be a book of myths but someone like Ray can do an expert sales job on it because for one he thorougly believes it and two he has studied the damn thing for decades.

Imagine trying to debate points of contention in the Harry Potter series with someone who had read them day in and day out for 37 years.

All in all a worthwhile debate because it highlights just what we are up against with the creationist mindset. Ray isn't particularly dishonest, just so deluded that anything rational on the subject of the age of the earth or evolution simply doesn't enter his brain. He can't begin to accept it, it never goes in.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:18 am
SavvyDrifterPosts: 3Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 am

What's the red thing on Tf00ts lap?

Why does RC look like he's made out of plastic in the pic?
Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:21 am
IBSpifyUser avatarPosts: 461Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 am Gender: Pinecone

SavvyDrifter wrote:What's the red thing on Tf00ts lap?

looks like his Keychain, a flash drive, and i think the small red thing is a pen light
Contrary to popular belief, full-immersion holographic sex will not destroy society.

Full-immersion holographic sex achievement points will destroy society
Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 am
Fr0zenLegendPosts: 6Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:40 am

duh, ray comfort has a diffrent shirt on the picture:P you guys blind?

It was a interesting discussion, but Tf00t should have made his arguments better, and ask for ray's evidence etc.
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 am

Fr0zenLegend wrote:duh, ray comfort has a diffrent shirt on the picture:P you guys blind?

And he is wearing shorts on the picture, while having trousers in the video... I pointed this out earlier :P
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 am
utoad9User avatarPosts: 3Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

TF would get him in a corner, then let him out. TF won the "debate" hands down,but was much too nice. Wonder how long it will be before Comfort edited videos appear on the net attempting to portray TF as losing the "debate"?
Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:24 pm
Next
 [ 36 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason