Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Votebot Anatomy 101 - Part 1

[ 7 posts ] 
Votebot Anatomy 101 - Part 1
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Votebot Anatomy 101 - Part 1

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 am
AndromedasWakeLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 598Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pmLocation: Captain's Chair, League HQ Gender: Cake

Post Re: Votebot Anatomy 101 - Part 1

Outstanding. It would be great for all Leaguers to learn about the anatomy of votebot software. Afterall, knowing is half the battle! ;)
ImageImage
(( "We are 'star-stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan | Music! | Twitter - [ AndromedasWake | SiriusStargazer ] ))
Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:53 am
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Thanks a lot Cosmic, much appreciated.
Maybe you intend to anwer it in a future post, but - if you'd have the power to do something about it - do you have any solutions to prevent votebotting? Not that Youtube would listen, of course. It's easier to get a response from god than from the Youtube staff.
I don't understand their total apathy. I understand it must be impossible to monitor the millions of videos, but the current anarchy is ridiculous. Same with the sockpuppet accounts, those trolls should be kicked out permanently. And don't get me started on the video commenting system...
/rant.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:07 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

Yep I intend to cover that in later posts, I'm not sure how many parts this will have but I intend to get as much information as I can out there :)

And I agree, the sockpuppet account problem is pretty much the basis for any major issues with votebotting and the like. There needs to be a serious change in order to help prevent the creation of these accounts so easily.
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 pm
Th1sWasATriumphLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 415Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 amLocation: About two feet behind AndromedasWake, with a brick in a sock

You should do more blogging, Spork. We need to be told these things.
An omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God would know exactly why I don't believe in him, but would send me to hell regardless. Have I just described your God?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwah_9O_4i4
Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:29 am
SchrodingersFinchLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 275Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pmLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Youtube stores a lot of data in the video insight. It shows the region of the votes and unique users so Youtube probably has IP address stored somewhere. All of my one-star votes came from Canada, by only 1-6 unique users.

Dealing with votebotters shouldn't be that hard for Youtube. It should also be quite easy to restore the ratings.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt."
- Richard P. Feynman
Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:05 am
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

SchrodingersFinch wrote:Youtube stores a lot of data in the video insight. It shows the region of the votes and unique users so Youtube probably has IP address stored somewhere. All of my one-star votes came from Canada, by only 1-6 unique users.

Dealing with votebotters shouldn't be that hard for Youtube. It should also be quite easy to restore the ratings.

You would hope that was the case, but I'll cover why it isn't that easy in part 2 :)
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:05 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason