Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Know Your Bones: November 2013

[ 4 posts ] 
Know Your Bones: November 2013
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post Know Your Bones: November 2013

Discussion thread for the blog entry "Know Your Bones: November 2013" by he_who_is_nobody.

Permalink: http://blog.theleagueofreason.co.uk/science/know-your-bones-november-2013/
Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Know Your Bones: November 2013

Well, this one has me truly and completely stumped.
My first thought was a creodont, but it obviously doesn't have those huge, stand-alone canines and it has too many shearing teeth.
I also don't think it's any kind of wolf, the shearing teeth just don't fit.
It's not any kind of big cat, at least none I know.
It's obviously not any kind of equine (or other primarily herbivore animal?) either, the structure isn't right and the canines are too large.

I'll make a mental note for myself here, don't peek!

"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:20 am
IsotelusBloggerUser avatarPosts: 317Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 am Gender: Tree

Nice choice! I think I'll guess on it this time.

Inferno wrote:Well, this one has me truly and completely stumped.
My first thought was a creodont, but it obviously doesn't have those huge, stand-alone canines and it has too many shearing teeth.
I also don't think it's any kind of wolf, the shearing teeth just don't fit.
It's not any kind of big cat, at least none I know.
It's obviously not any kind of equine (or other primarily herbivore animal?) either, the structure isn't right and the canines are too large.

I enjoyed your thought process, and without having peeked at your mental note, I'll just say that I agree that it's not a creodont, wolf, cat, or equine. :P
Punnet square summer camp: Be there or be square!
Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:47 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3491Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:50 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 4 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason