Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

[ 6 posts ] 
The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
Blog of ReasonHelperUser avatarPosts: 240Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pmLocation: League of Reason

Post The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm
IsotelusBloggerUser avatarPosts: 317Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

Cool! Sounds like a great place to get a glimpse through time. Great post!

Edited to add the wind back to he_who_is_nobody's sails :D I swear, there was never anything here about Seismosaurus.
Punnet square summer camp: Be there or be square!
Last edited by Isotelus on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

dito thanks :)
I enjoyed to go along with your first walk-around and look forward to your follow-ups.

The museums homepage is worth visiting/exploring too and gives the impression to be a friendly place ~ no doubt you appreciate being there.
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3468Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Isotelus wrote:A study was performed on Seismosaurus that found it not as large as previously thought, and it is now a junior synonym for Diplodocus. They kept the species name though, so it's Diplodocus hallorum. Supersaurus is now the longest known dinosaur, although this may actually be a Diplodocus too, because earlier on a case was made for Seismosaurus being the same thing as Supersaurus.

You are taking the wind out of my sails. I was going to talk about the taxonomy of Seismosaurus and compare the size to other dinosaurs in my blog post about Seismosaurus. However, you are correct that the original study (which predicted Seismosaurus to be 52m) were incorrect. The new accepted prediction for Seismosaurus is 33m long, making it just as long as the predictions for Supersaurus (give or take a meter for either).
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am
YIM WWW
IsotelusBloggerUser avatarPosts: 317Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 am Gender: Tree

he_who_is_nobody wrote:You are taking the wind out of my sails. I was going to talk about the taxonomy of Seismosaurus and compare the size to other dinosaurs in my blog post about Seismosaurus. However, you are correct that the original study (which predicted Seismosaurus to be 52m) were incorrect. The new accepted prediction for Seismosaurus is 33m long, making it just as long as the predictions for Supersaurus (give or take a meter for either).

Fixed it! You should have made a note. ;)
Punnet square summer camp: Be there or be square!
Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3468Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Isotelus wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:You are taking the wind out of my sails. I was going to talk about the taxonomy of Seismosaurus and compare the size to other dinosaurs in my blog post about Seismosaurus. However, you are correct that the original study (which predicted Seismosaurus to be 52m) were incorrect. The new accepted prediction for Seismosaurus is 33m long, making it just as long as the predictions for Supersaurus (give or take a meter for either).

Fixed it! You should have made a note. ;)

Well, it is not that big of a deal. It is only a blog after all. :)
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 am
YIM WWW
 [ 6 posts ] 
Return to Blog of Reason